Run Beer Geek Run

JustGiving - Sponsor me now!

Sunday 2 October 2016

Run Beer Geek Run - Training Weeks 1 and 2

So here we go, after seven years (probably more like thirty) of procrastination, running time is finally here.  A few weeks ago I hit the mean streets of Berkshire fully prepared to take on the world.  What followed was a short, sharp shock.   Running is hard and I'm not good at it.  More than that, people look at you very strangely if they find you standing red faced on the corner of the street, wearing a Jim Jefferies April 18th T-Shirt and shouting "No you run faster you chirpy bitch" at your phone.  Suffice to say session one did not go well (see below), in fact apart from some most excellent shoe shopping (more on that another day) and stopping to admire Wokinghams' finest knob vending establishment week one was not the greatest success.

The Knob Shop.  Yes, really. 
Post first run - not my best look.

Week 1        
  Distance Time Ave Pace Thoughts
04/09/2016 2.6km God knows, a really long time… Bad What on earth am I doing? None of the other runners jiggle like this.  Why are they all so bloody smiley?  I wish the smarmy cow on my phone would shut up, she's not even running.  I'm going to to delete her when I get home, that will teach her!
05/09/2016 2.6km 20.04 7.43 min/km Oh god. Oh god. Oh god. Ooooowwweee.
06/09/2016 Rest Day My. Poor. Trotters. Must. Buy. Decent. Shoes.
07/09/2016 3.4km 25.13 7.28 min/km My new shoes are so pretty.  Now I have wings and will fly high above the pavement. This might be OK.  Bollocks a hill.
08/09/2016 Rest Day Sofa so comfy.
09/09/2016 4.4km 33.08 7.33 min/km Um, where am I?  I think I'm going to be late for work….
10/09/2016 Rest Day I'm going to drink a lot of cider today.  After I've walked up this big hill…

Having survived week one (and enjoyed a rather cheering jolly to Exmoor) I have to admit I was feeling pretty pleased with myself and week 2 was nowhere near as awful as its predecessor, at some points I would go as far as admitting it was vaguely enjoyable.  Swapping from the horrid run yourself thin and depressed app to MapMyRun was also a big step in the right direction.

Week 2
Distance Time Ave Pace Thoughts
11/09/2016 Rest Day I love Exmoor.  I'm going to eat a cream tea and run when I get home.  Now I feel a bit sick.  Maybe no running….
12/09/2016 3.67km 29.28 8.02 min/km Running after work, this is fun.  Crystal Palace Park is pretty.  Bloody hell it's hot.  
13/09/2016 Rest Day I feel bad not running.
14/09/2016 4.6km 37.17 8.08 min/km Wow, Wokingham has a park!  And big hills!  This is my off-road training.  I may finally be getting the hang of this…
15/09/2016 Rest Day I like gin.  Gin is my friend.
16/09/2016 Rest Day I think today I would like to mainly by under my duvet.
17/09/2016 4.58 30.32 6.4 min/km Go! Go! Go! That's nearly halfway there.  Any there were swans.  I think I'll have some wine now.

So after two weeks spirits were high with regards to both running and consumption.  I discovered the joy of running around parks and lakes rather than housing estates, and feeling of actually earning a day on the sofa.  It seemed that completing the 10k in a decent time would actually be achievable!  Then badness happened...

       










No comments:

Post a Comment